you want to what??? (was: dare I take the plunge)

Golly I don't know how I missed this thread, but if it has anything to do
with selling a csQ for a Bosch Spider, I'm aghast. (Avid Quattro fan
&:-D).

I have an '87 spider and an '88 quattro. My personal opinion is the later
Spiders are not as fun as the earlier ones, the peppiest drivers being the
early 70s cars without all the emissions-management stuff. That said, I
wouldn't sell a Quattro to have a spider as my only car. I'd feel like I'm
giving up power just to be more cold and uncomfortable when it's rainy or
snowy outside. If you have a free and easy lifestyle, maybe this is not so
important! But for me, shlepping to work every day and trucking stuff
(including dogs) around... there are many times when I need a car with a
hard top that I can lock securely and I don't have to worry about dressing
for the Antarctic. Quattro is also worth a lot, in my book. If you can
manage it, keep both cars!

I think someone pointed out that buying a Spider will make your girlfriend
want to marry you. That's a debatable question too, from my standpoint
(being of the female persuasion). The *right* girlfriend will want her
own Spider, and then you'll get stuck fixing her car and your car, and
you won't be spending a lot of time doing much else. But yes, you'll be
able to test the mettle of your relationship, because a *wrong*
girlfriend won't want to drive with the top down (gets the hair
all messy), or doesn't like the exhaust smell, or will be sooooooo
jealous of the car (you spend too much time in the garage fixing the
Spider). The *really right* girlfriend will also figure out a way you can
keep both cars. Then she'll take the Q-car and lower it with coilover
suspension, put a chip in it, a higher-lift cam, a front strut-tower
brace, super flowed exhaust, rear anti-sway bar, upgrade to Brembos ...
and then she'll beat the cr*p outta you at the track when she's not
lobbying to drive the Spider herself. Which by the way she'll be
lobbying that you stiffen the suspension, add a competition-height
rollbar, upgrade the wheels (get rid of those Turbinas - they ruin
fingernails when you wash them), add an SS exhaust with glasspack, tune
the Spica, and throw in a smaller Momo wheel to fit her hands
better.... &:-) You could potentially be spending lots of time together in
the garage as well....

I think you're hosed either way, though. Even if you sell the Q car to
buy the spider, you'll then want a GTV6 in your garage as well.
After that, you might be thinking about a Duetto, or Junior Z. Might
as well keep the Q-car right off the bat, because face it, you're not
gonna be a one-car man for long ....

&:-)

Tess