Another Mid Life Crisis Story

I too have the mid-life crisis story to tell. I'm a construction engineer and was working for a consultant and had just turned 39. The company had a newletter that listed birthdays. Well, I wound up working on a site one weekend with a guy from the office that I hadn't seen for months and he made a mention that it was my birthday and that I must be 40. No way I told him - If I was turning 40 do you think I would be driving this Neon - It would be a Triumph Spitfire (was my mid-life crisis dream car). So we had a bit of a chuckle. I had been hunting around for a 'drivable project car' and had seen this Spider sitting by the road infront of an "Automotive Recycler". Knew what it was but Sunday they were closed and just simply filed the sighting away. About a week and a half later I was finished work early, beautiful fall day and decided to go for a tour on the way home and see if the "Alfa Romeo" was still there. Low and behold it was - looked at it - not cream puff but definitely workable. Owner of the Junk Yard (this is a backwoods off the beaten path junk yard) came out said do you want to hear it run. Sure .... started right up ....listened ....played....took it out for a drive .....drove real nice .......Bought it that day .
A few days later I wound up working with the same guy I had worked with two weeks ago then told him that I magically turned 40 during the past two weeks. His response was ..."You bought a Triumph" . No Brian - did better than that Have an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. The rest is history.

I have become hooked on Alfas now. (Always looking for another - right !?!?) Think they are wonderful cars. Very unique and great to drive. Don't believe they are any more expensive or difficult to repair than any other older vehicle. I have two daily drivers and they are as rock solid dependable as any vehicle I have ever owned (1991 164L and a 1981 GTV-6). My original love the spider is on blocks getting a good make over and tune up. She'll be out on the road touring up and down the curvy back roads with the roof down again this summer.

The last of my Alfas is a Milano which for the brief time I drove it was a blast. My wife want's to drive it but it suffered from a bearing problem in the transaxle and developed this nasty whine - shifts fine but whines while the clutch is engaged in any gear and neutral. So that's my Alfa Mid-Life Crisis Story. Bit wordy perhaps but hope some of you enjoy it.

Regards
Steven Cameron
Adrian, Michigan

Steve Cameron