re: Driver's window is slowwwwwwwwwwww...

At Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:17:50 -0400 "Mauri and Bob Rand" wrote
>My '87 spider driver's power window is very slow when lowering and raising.
>It almost doesn't make it. The passenger is much quicker and works without
>problem.
>When it is warm, both increase in speed.
>Should I look at the tracking of the driver's window, lubricate something.
>Just trying to get some ideas before I take the door panel off.

I've had the very same with my Alfa 75 Turbo. Both Windows.
And both performed better in summer than in winter.

I suspected the cause was a too old powerwindow motor (my car is a '87
as well), so I went to a salvage yard and got the motors off a
nice conditions, prematurely trashed Alfa 75 2.0 TS.

Back home I took the door panel away, removed the old motor.
placed the new one, and did a test.
It was moving EVEN SLOWER.
I played with connection, with buttons (WD40, it seems the power
to feed these motors goes through the button and not through a relais
or something like that). Nothing.
I started to remove the motor.... turning the two screws holding the
motor core to the mechanism box (they connect with a joint). While
doing that, I said.... "cannot be" and tried to push the button
once again. ZOOOOOOOOM! the window went great!
So at the end all I did was:
WD40 on all electrics contacts
Lubed all sliders and mechanism inside there
Adjusted properly the joint connection.

And the latest was the most important thing.
I thought I had to tighten the screw to hold parts togheter, but
I was just wrong. Try working on the screws holding the motor to
the mechanism,... ofcourse supposing the Spider uses the same system
the Alfa75 uses.

Ciao
Luca

"When the chosen people
 grew more strong,
 the rightful cause at length
 became the wrong." (John Dryden, Absalon and Achitophel)

937, '87 Alfa 75 Turbo, '90 Alfa 75 1.8ie, '75 Benelli 500 Quattro, RM250
http://members.xoom.it/nodoubt73