84 Spider Computers

In a message dated 4/17/2003 7:26:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:45:44 EDT
> From: CLeopold@domain.elided
> Subject: Re: alfa-digest V9 #422
>
> In a message dated 4/16/2003 1:12:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
>
> >http://www.squadra-tuning.com/
>
> Does anyone know if there is any maker of chips for the older    L-Jetronic
>
> ignition?   I have an '84 Spider and have not been able to find one.
> Thanks.
> - -Clay Leopold
> Princeton, NJ

Clay,
       I do not think our cars are "chip able."  SCCA has changed the rules
to allow any computer components in the Improved Touring race category.
However, the stock computer box and the stock connectors have to be used.
That is, it has to look stock.  I suspect this is due to an inability of
scrutineers to easily monitor what is in the computer boxes.  SCCA solved the
problem of monitoring turbo boost by outlawing turbos.  They seem to have
gone the other way on this.
       My 84 spider race car needs more power.  The computers (ignition and
fuel) are one place to do that.  I gotta beat those damned wrong wheel drive
VW!
       Someone, I believe John Fielding in South Africa, was offering
conversion computers.  I have not written him, but will copy this to the
address I have for him.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City