Re: Berlina cracked windshields

Andrew said:
>I had two maroon 74 Berlinas in a row with cracks in the pass. side of the
>windshield.  And as has been mentioned, there have been several others
>lately.  It's pretty common.  Besides Damian's car, the one I just saw in
>Virginia last week had a crack too.

Perhaps one less data point Andrew, the crack in the Virginia Berlina's
windshield (mine) appears to be a gravel chip or BB shot.  Definitely impact
related instead of flex induced as you are speculating.  Your glue-in
windshield fracture theory sounds credible although I hope you are wrong.  The
replacement windshield that I located is the glue in type and I hope that it
gives me many years of uninterrupted vision.

By the way, when I was asking a local glass shop about the costs of stone chip
repair, the salesperson said "let me see if I can get that windshield."  Three
days later I carried home a new windshield for $156.00!  (Haven't had it
installed yet, plan to do some rust repair first).  The warehouse label looks
as though it could be 20 years old but I could make out: L-N Safety Glass,
FCW-302T.  Unfortunately it was the only one in the warehouse in Richmond, VA
but they claim that they can order more.  I'm a bit skeptical about that but I
wouldn't have believed that they'd have one in the first place.  It never
hurts to ask!  The local (Hampton, VA) glass place that ordered it for me was
Danny's Glass 800-296-6007.  Ask for Stephanie.

Bill Sinclair
'67 Duetto
'73 Berlina
'58 Giulietta (for sale soon)