Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:20:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@domain.elided>
Subject: 164 cooling system diagnosis

at this point, most everything in the cooling system of my 164 (1991 base
model) has been replaced. when jeff greenfield did the timing belt, he did
the usual preemptive water pump replacement, and at the same time, given
that all the hoses looked pretty awful (probably original on a 125,000+
mile car) they all got done them too, as well as the various senders that
are plumbed into the system.

we just got our first couple of warm days here, and with reasonable water
temps on the gauge, i'm seeing coolant spitting out around the cap on the
tank after 15-20 minute stints of driving.

anyone have any suggestions about the diagnosis? bad cap? something worse
(hope the system isn't overpressurized from a bad head gasket.)

richard
- --