Re: alfa-digest V9 #423 - Battery

In a message dated 4/16/2003 6:53:32 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 04:10:32 -0700
> From: "Glenn Wasserman" <glennwa@domain.elided>
> Subject: Battery
>
> Some have mentioned that it is unlikely that the short drive to work would
> have completely recharged the battery. Can anyone tell me - how long does
> it
> take to recharge a battery? This was a half hour drive... I would have
> expected that to do the trick.
>
> Thanks
> - -Glenn

       Half an hour drive should have brought the battery up enough to start
the car eight hours later - if the battery is good and you were not running a
high power draw stereo at the same time.  It will take an hour or two for a
decent charge.  Overnight if the battery is so low that the car would not
start and you want it fully charged.
       Buy a battery charger.  The charge rate will start out close to the
charger's rated capacity.  Over a period of time, the charge rate will
gradually drop until the charge rate is about two amps.
       If the battery charger indicates the battery is taking a charge at a
low rate, the battery may have a bad cell.  The charger should always start
close to its maximum rating and drop in rate.  The speed the gauge drops
indicates how charged the battery is.
       I have had batteries that appeared to not take a full charge.
However, by leaving it connected over night it charged.  I think that battery
had sat more than it was used and the plates were sulfated.
       I like the Sears 2/10 amp charger for about $30.  Larger more
expensive chargers are available and faster, but are over kill.
       I have found other uses for the charger as well.  My garage parts
washer is an old sink plumbed into a covered bucket underneath.  My battery
charger hangs on the wall and powers an old electric fuel pump to move the
solvent.  The only disadvantage is I cannot charge a battery and wash parts
at the same time.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City