fwd, etc

>>While
I'm sure that if Alfa had been able to remain on its own, they likely
would have never gone FWD (after all BMW, Audi, and MB didn't),
nonetheless, even a modern independent Alfa Romeo would probably look a
lot more like a Toyota under the skin than it would look like a '70's
Berlina.<<

Most Audis are fwd, with a fair few 4wd versions.

Think the biggest problem for the 75 when Fiat took over was that
it cost a hideous amount of money to build, with very little
shared to other models. For example I suspect the need for a prop
shaft substantially added to the cost, and I suspect the suppliers
of prop shafts in Italy was somewhat limited by that time. After all
make 100,000 cars with an item on it that costs $10 to make
and you have just thrown away $1m

All the best

Keith