Jump Timing?

The other day,  my '91 Alfa Spider and I were going down the road at
about 100 mph and upon accelerating,  suddenly there was little power
and we started decelerating even with the pedal all the way to the
floor.  When we had purposly decelerated ,  the motor ran very roughly.
It was obviously missing but still drivable.  The spark plugs are brand
new,  as are the plug wires.  The rotor button is also.  I had just that
day had it serviced.

I had to take it to a guy who had worked on it before because he is near
me and where I usually take it is 2 hours away.  He "fiddled" with it a
while and has determined that it has "jumped timing" and with doing so,
it has warped 2 valves and needs about $700 work.

What happens when a car "Jumps Time"?

Alan C,
'91 red Spider Veloce