Alfas on the road in US?

I just got back from another partially road-trip based vacation, putting
over 800 miles on a Dae Woo Nubira (hamster-powered, according to my kids)
rentacar from Baltimore, down through DC and Virginia, to the Outer Banks of
NC and back, and saw not one single Alfa on the road.

I did see, in a premeditiated fashion, Bill Sinclair's three Alfas
(including one Berlina) in Hampton, Va., when we met him.  But that's not
idling stumbling across an Alfa.  Bizarrely, the only moving Italian car we
saw on the entire trip was on a remote access road to a park in Baltimore,
what should come howling down the pothole-riddled single-lane road but a
black 456 Ferrari.  Not exactly what I would have expected in such a place.

Also, you can apparently get a Winston Cup motor built in any size town in
North Carolina, including in Moyock, just up the road from Coinjock and not
far from Panther Landing (I love these names).  Moyock can't have more than
200 people, but had a very professional-looking NASCAR engine-building shop
right there on the west side of the Caratoke Highway, near a lawn-mower
repair shop.  NC has got to be the heart of NASCAR country.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register