Clutch Slave

Hello to all
I have a question, This weekend I replaced a leaking slave cylinder on my 1991
spider. The new one took a long time to bleed, started getting some pressure
and stopped? It never would pump up? I was using someone in the car to pump
the peddle, carefully and I have done this procedure before with success. I
did notice some bubbles in the resevoir after the system was closed up, (with
minimal pressure) as my assistant pushed the peddle. My guess is the master
cylinder is also bad? Anyone have any thoughts?