Re: milano verde or 164s

In a message dated 4/9/03 8:05:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time, richard writes in
response to John's subject query:

<snip>
> my preference for track cars will tend to be rear wheel drive cars. it's a
>  matter of being able to steer with both ends of the car, and it's easier to
>  put power down when the powered wheels and the steered wheels are
>  different.
<snip>

One amusing FWD anecdote is when I was running my 11 year old, 150k mile, no
longer a full 86HP, asthmatic Jetta at a track day in Portland once - the
bimmers and p-cars were blowing my doors off along the straights (it was
German car day at PIR). The combination of no velocity and FWD came in handy
later, however, when the track became wet with a little rain (it happens in
Portland). I then had plenty of time and lots of secure traction to scope out
the new teutonic lawn art along side turns 1, 2, and 3 of PIR while I was
motoring by.

Actually, for one session, I was in a good position to pass a particular
3-series through the corners (it was against the local rules, however, so I
didn't) - I just had to wait until his back wheels started "over steering"
and he went predictably wide. I then had a clean shot through the apex right
along the line, almost every time. He could pull away from me on the
straight, but I was in his back seat through the corners.

My car stayed cleaner than theirs did that day ... and the corner workers
were in more danger of being hit than was I when the track got wet.

FWD is kinda what you make of it, the 156's have done OK on the track. Some
folks are passionate about which ends puts the power down, however.

Personally, I'd recommend a nice used Yugo and trick it out properly. They
stick to the road like nothing else (ask any tow-truck driver) and there's
all kinds of after-market performance stuff available through JC Whitney
(under-car neon, coffee-can exhaust tips) and Wal-Mart (fuzzy dice and
fresh-scent 'trees'). Didn't someone post a url a year or two ago depicting
one in some part of Europe that put the rice-racer Hondas to shame?

Tom
Seattle
6310123 (RWD)
7711615 (RWD)