re: V6 Valve shims?

At 12:36 AM +0000 4/8/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 12:22:39 -0400
From: "Jeff Greenfield" <alfaguy@domain.elided>
Subject: V6 Valve shims?

Theoretically the same valve shims can be used on 4 and six cylinder cars as
dimensionally they are the same.

However, according to Alfa, the V6 shims are hardened (as identified by a
groove in the outer circumference), there is no problem using the V6 shims
in the 4 cylinder engines, however (supposedly) using the 4 cylinder shims
in the six cylinder engine is a big no-no.

Just curious what everyone does here? Anyone have any first hand knowledge
of valve shim failures?

Thanks,

Jeff
Aw crap.  I'm pretty sure some of the shims in my engine lack the groove.