Re: alfa-digest V9 #395

No. Let's make up some figures to show how this works. Let us, for the sake of argument, say that the resistance of the motor is 10 Ohms (It doesn't matter for our purposes, the relationships will be the same no matter what the motor resistance is. We just use 10 Ohms because it makes the math easier). since:

I =E/R then

I = 12/10 or 1.2 Amps

Now let's say there is a bad connection in the circuit, and this connection is adding 5 Ohms to the 10 Ohms of the motor.

since resistance in series is additive, 10 Ohms (the resistance of the motor alone) + 5 Ohms (the resistance added by the poor or corroded connection) = 15 Ohms, so:

I= 12/15 or 0.8 Amps

Which, as you can see is LESS current than the motor alone (1.2 Amps). This decrease in current will increase the voltage drop across the circuit and the motor will, as a result, now be seeing less than the full 12 volts, and will likely run more sluggishly than normal, but it won't contribute to fuse blowing. A partial short on the other hand will have the opposite effect: Let's say that the motor has a short in one of the motor windings, and this lowers the resistance of the motor from 10 to 7.5 Ohms:

I=12/7.5 or 1.6 Amps

If this car has a 1.5 Amp fuse in this circuit, then this condition would likely blow it.

Clear now?

George Graves
'86 GTV-6
now with 3.0 liter 'S' engine