RE: Transmission Rebuild??

> Where's the best and most cost effective place on the east
> coast (I'm in
> Norfolk, VA) to have a '73 GTV transmission rebuilt, lightened and
> balanced.  What real world gains will there be for a lightened and
> balanced transmission?

I'm on the east coast, but I send my stuff to Tom Sahines
(tsahines@domain.elided) on the left coast.  I'm on transmission #3 at the
moment (to give you an idea of how effective I think it is..).  Shipping
in either direction isn't hugely expensive.

You don't need to balance them, fwiw, correctly spacing the lightening
holes evenly around the gear will do the trick.

Real world gains?  Yes, the transformation is pretty dramatic.  No more
pausing in between gears, shift as fast as you can and you'll be hard
pressed to get the gears to grind, upshifting or downshifting in any
gear.  In addition, the life of the synchros will be extended
indefinitely, which means more time in between rebuilds.

If the cost of shipping is prohibitive, take the box apart and ship just
the gears for lightening.

HTH,

bs