Clutch questions S4 spider

I am the proud new owner of a 93 S4 spider with 68K miles.  The car came
from humid Florida and now lives in Colorado.  The problem is that when the
car arrived, the clutch didn't always want to disengage.  The plates
contacted as the pedal moved less than an inch from the floor.
The fluid was very dirty so I changed it.  Now the pedal travel is
appropriate but occasionally it will not shift into first gear without
"pumping up" the clutch pedal.   The fluid looks dirty again.   Soooo,,,,
whats up.   air in the lines?  a bad master or slave?  bad tranny fluid?
clutch pedal pivot problem?    any suggestion appreciated.