-----Original Message-----
From: Bernie Bennett [mailto:bennetts77833@domain.elided]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 2:22 AM
To: J. Hutson Hart
Cc: AlfaNeely@domain.elided; Alfa Digest

Hutson:

Your comments make me wonder what penalty if any various sanctioning
bodies including AROC USA award for adding a chassis stiffener to the
spider?  Just jumped to the USA AROC web site
http://aroc-usa.org/comp1.html where making a quick reading of the code
I conclude it ignores the effect chassis stiffening might have.

Whilst searching for Russ Neely's address to ask him about the
Competition Code I came across this posted very recently

>      My personal, not at all humble, opinion is that chassis
stiffeners are
>not legal in SCCA autocross nor in Improved Touring.  For that reason,
I have
>never bought one.  My 84 ITB spider race car has a very nice chassis
>stiffener that goes from the top of the firewall over my head into the
trunk
>behind the shock towers.  I normally call it a roll cage rather than a
>chassis stiffener...

As you can see, the Competition  Director of AROC USA did not mention
the stiffener's legality in that venue.