RE: chassis stiffener - Series 4 Spider

Well, time to weigh in on this thang

After much hemming and hawing and listening to all of yous and your input, I
did the deed and just last week installed a chassis stiffener on my 91
Spider, and had the distinct pleasure to fully wring it out on the racetrack
at Sears Point [Infineon] in Sonoma yesterday.  In road driving, [of which I
did rather a lot over the weekend], I found a dramatic seat-of-the-pants
difference in the overall feel of the car.  It has a more solid and modern
attitude now, and I found no sacrifice in ride comfort.  The corners of the
car continue to do a very balanced job of absorbing road irregularities,
while the frame just feels more solid and stable.  [It should be noted that
in past years I have installed IAP red springs, a heavier rear sway bar, and
am running stock shocks, everything otherwise is bone-stock.]  The handling
of my car has always been consistent with classical descriptions of the
same, somewhat soft into a corner until the unibody and suspension takes a
set, then compliant and smooth as long as you are.  The only drama coming
when you make any sudden moves with the suspension compressed.  With the
chassis stiffener though, the difference in character on the track was
rather more dramatic than the difference on the road.  I found the handling
still to be completely neutral, but with noticeably higher limits on what I
could both carry into turns and how soon I could dial back in the power.  I
experienced something akin to a tangible feel of the tires and the adhesion
limits right there the whole time.  I honestly found myself contemplating a
set of track wheels and stickier tires for next time, since I think I could
finally take some advantage of more grip, because the behavior at and beyond
the limit was so predictable and solid as to instill real confidence.  A
complete blast was had by all!

Bottom line is that you can count me as one of the group who considers it an
excellent investment, and a fine enhancement an otherwise wonderful driving
experience.

Cheers!
Hutson
1991 Spider [white] 133k miles [w/ a few of those on the track]