Re: alfa-digest V9 #380 - Engine Removal

       Did you remove the cover plate on the lower front of the bellhousing?
If that, the starter and all bolts are out, it should just slide apart.  If
not, a screw driver forced between the block and bellhousing should start it
moving.  If it still will not come apart with two screwdrivers 180 degrees
apart, then you have not removed all the bolts.
       There are six bolts on the bellhousing, three on the starter and four
on the lower cover plate.

       What are you talking about with the transmission mounts?  Is the
engine still in the car?  The rear of the transmission needs to drop down to
separate from the engine and / or come out with the engine.  I personally
prefer to pull the transmission first, then the engine.  I never pull them as
a unit.
       Why are you pulling the engine and transmission if they are working
well?  Replacing the seals should not have any impact on how the engine or
transmission works.  You will have to tear the engine and transmission partly
down to replace the seals.
       The 82 starter is the heavy high horsepower unit.  Alfa used the same
starter from 1975 to about 1985 or so.  It should have a support bracket on
the front that bolts to the motormount.  The bracket and starter can be
replaced with the motormount in place, but it is a real pain.
       Find the small gear drive starter that Alfa fitted to the spider
starting in about 1987 and later.  It weights half as much, does not require
the support bracket and is much easier to replace with the intake plenum in
place in the car.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City