Spica

In a message dated 3/30/2003 4:47:26 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 08:06:30 -0800
> From: "Jeff Thraen" <Jeff@domain.elided>
> Subject: Spica
>
> I finally got my 1750 back after 9 months!
>
> Tonight I installed the Spica pump. When I put the pump belt on, the manual
> said to line the marks up on the pump and pulley and set the crank to 80
> degrees ATDC indicated by the "I" mark on the pulley. It said that the
> first
> cylinder should be on the "induction stroke" and that I would see the
> intake
> valve open through the plug hole. None of this was possible. First of all,
> the "I" mark is on the crank pulley at what I would say is 80 degrees
> BEFORE
> TDC! I tried rotating the crank through two complete revolutions and at no
> time was the "I" mark lined up while the intake valve was open.
>
> I ended up putting the belt on with the "I" mark lined up during the
> compression stroke. I hope this is correct.
>
> Any feedback would be helpful, especially if I did it wrong!
>

> __________________
> Jeff Thraen
>
> 1971 Berlina
> 1984 GTV6

       I think you need a new manual.   What manual do you have anyway?  It
sure is wrong.
       The I mark is indeed about 80 degrees Before TDC.  The Haynes manual
for the Alfetta says to align to the P or TDC mark on the firing stroke.
Both valves should be closed and the cam lobes for number one cylinder should
point away from each other.
       Then it says to turn the crank pulley anti clockwise or the reverse of
normal rotation to align the I mark.  Then align the marks on the Spica pump
and put on the belt.
       It sounds as if you got it right.

       Just as a matter of interest, I looked at the timing marks on the 74
GTV in my garage.  Starting from the P or TDC mark, the M mark is about an
inch to the right.  The I mark is another inch and a half further down to the
right.  The F or static timing mark is about half an inch to the left of TDC.
       All references above are from the perspective looking at the front of
the engine.  And measurements are estimated.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City