Fire departments and negative cable cutting

Twelve weeks on the road and only ten weeks behind, but here goes, I believe
that the fire department recommendation to cut the negative cable is for the
same reason as most of us will disconnect the negative cable.  If I were
reaching into a wreck to cut a cable it would probably be with a big pair of
metal cable cutters or bolt cutters.  There may be or will be a spark
induced by the load at the time of severance, but it will not be the full
capacity of the battery shorting to ground via the cutting tool or the loose
end of the positive cable landing someplace conductive.

Wayne Abbott