'86 GTV-6
now with 3.0 liter 'S' engine
and Power Steering

On Friday, March 28, 2003, at 11:45 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:42:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael O'Donnell <oldpartsape@domain.elided>
Subject: reground camshafts

Since Alfa V-6 cams tend to wear fast,
most cams you see will have one or two lobes that very badly worn. This
is likely the reason why all of the re-grinds I've looked at had
insufficient 'meat' on the heel.
Nobody makes reground performance cams from worn out camshafts. We sell of cams to various vendors for regrinding and the #1 requirement for grindable units is that they not be worn.
The reason that reground performance cams require extra thick shims is that most cams are being reprofiled for extra lift. This neccesitates removal of material from the heel of the cam to make the cam lobe taller, therefore providing the lift.
I've set up lots of reground cams using the thick shims and never had a problem with them. Sometimes, however, the shims required are very near the upper range of the available thickness and this can be a problem for subsequent valve adjustments.

Michael/APE