Re: cal smog exemption

In a message dated 3/26/03 5:47:45 PM Pacific Standard Time, Stefano writes:
<snip>
> This is ok
>  for some of our cars, but for me, I drive them on a daily basis, and one of
>  my Alfas has to be my primary vehicle, since I only have Alfas.
>
>  I wonder if I should keep complaining, or if my first communication is
>  enough
>  to voice my displeasure.
<snip>

Keep complaining AND ask Florez who is going to track the mileage each year
(does the CA DMV track mileage now?). If no one is tracking it now, ask the
head of whatever department Florez identifies if they are planning to spend
their budget enforcing this new requirement.

If the mileage is already tracked, ask Florez if that means you still have to
take the old, under 12k a year car in for a mileage check (and then,
possibly, a smog check).

Also, ask Florez what standards the older-than-1968 cars have to meet. The
cars are type-certified - that is, they met the regulations in place at the
time they were built and sold. To ask that they meet more restrictive
regulations than they were designed to (without an overwhelming safety need
being present) is a wrong, and politically unwise, thing for Florez to do.

Keep making noise about the rules you don't like, eventually you will be
heard. I'm hoping you get to keep driving your Alfas on a daily basis (Alfa
content).

Tom
Seattle
6310123 (will be 41 in Sept)
7711615 (turning 26)

(PS - Another alternative might be to move your permanent residence to Nevada
and "commute")