Converting three port fuel pump system to two port pump

I have found a working two-port Bosch fuel pump from a
72 SPICA Alfa, and I want to use it on my 75 Alfetta
to replace the dead three-port pump.

The third port on the Alfetta pump is a pressure
release valve.  Just how necessary is the pressure
relief valve with a 30 year old pump?  Is there an
easy way to duplicate this system or should I just
plumb it in like the old systems and remove the
pressure relief line?

My goal is to get this thing running with a minimum
expenditure using maximum ingenuity.  If I can't find
an easy solution to this I'll probably go get a late
model Bosch pump with internal pressure relief - from
a junkyard of course!

Thanks!
Ian
http://platinum.yahoo.com