164 check engine light, code 1251

When I went in for smog a couple of weeks ago, the mechanic noticed that there was no check engine light. I don't remember ever seeing a check engine light since I bought the car about two years ago. So I went to the Alfa mechanic yesterday. Guess what - the bulb was missing. So he replaced the bulb, and as you might suspect, the check engine light stayed on. Anyway, the error code is 1251: replace ECU. Has anyone else gotten a 1251? What would cause this? The car runs fine. (Searching the digest archives, there was one case where this was fixed with contact enhancer.)

Seems like the dealer shouldn't have passed smog on the car when I bought it. Any prospect of recovering some of the expenses?

Ray Clemo
164Q