Re: Chassis Stiffening for Alfa Spiders ???

My Spider had been up on 4 jackstands for a couple of years when I installed
the stiffener. The jackstands were under the four jackpoints. After I
installed the stiffener (about another year later) I was working under the
car installing a new parking brake cable when I accidentally bumped into the
right rear jackstand and it moved. It was then that I noticed that there was
a tiny gap between the stand and the body jackpoint. I pulled the stand all
the way out and stared at the right rear as it hung in mid air. It
definitely didn't do that before I installed the stiffener.

So, although I'm still about a week away from my first road test, I'd say
that the stiffener will work as advertised and is worth the 40 lbs of extra
weight.

I can say this: when working under the car on stands the stiffener does
provide some nifty handholds for swinging yourself into or out from under
the work area.

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa