spider radiator help please

I have a 79 spider that just got a new radiator fan.  (The original 24
year old fan self destructed at 5K+ rpm).  Now I have a weird thing going
on with the water temperature.  Once the car is warmed up, all is fine
- and when idleing the water temperature is usually just a hair over 180
F.  But as soon as I hit the gas and rev the engine (either if the car is
moving or stopped in neutral) the indicated water temp drops to the way
lower edge of the scale.  Temp will climb back up to 180 as soon as the
revs drop back to idle.  What is going on here?  Could it be that my
radiator with probably 24 years of crud can't handle the new fan?  Or is
there something more serious going on?  Bad water pump?  Although that
was replaced recently too.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Peter

Los Angeles