re: ES-12 Hydrocarbon Refrigerant (Alfa)

hi john,

end of last summer, i did my three alfa's and the pantera w/the stuff.  the gtwe6 still has the stuff in it as of today - i use the a/c when it's rainy; keeps the windows nicely defogged - much better than the heater alone.  and, we certainly got some rain yesterday & today!  :>)  this is the 1st time that i've managed to keep gas in the gtwe6's a/c system for longer than 6 weeks, since i got the car in '95...  ;~)

all the other cars still have the gas in 'em, but the pantera wouldn't cool after the 3rd day.  even tho i cleaned out its expansion walve screen, the whole system needs a flush, cuz it pluged back up right away - the gas is still in there.  now that spring's coming, i gotta empty, flush & refill the pantera's a/c system.  the alfas are fine.  bottom line?  highly recommended; it cools at least as good as the r12 that was in there prewiously...

hth,

doug s.
=======================

Has anybody had long-term success with the ES-12a HC freon replacement in a
164 or GTV that they would like to report on?  Joe Elliott (and others) have
reported in the past about converting to ES-12 but I have not seen any
follow-up reports that I can remember, at least.  I am putting a new
compressor in my 164 and don't want to pay for freon but don't like the
reduced performance of 134a, so am very interested in knowing whether ES-12
is a long-term solution.  Thanks in advance-

John Maclay
'64 2600 Spider (CA license plate 2600)
'91 164 L (CA license plate 164 L)