Re: Turbina Refinishing

I refinished a set of turbinas at home in 1996 and they still look just fine.  The first step is to get them scrupulously clean, which can be a pain due to the design.  It is a good idea to media blast them (sand is probably too aggressive) before painting, but I and others have had good luck by simply scuffing the surface lightly with 80 grit sandpaper after cleaning to give a good profile for the paint to adhere.

Next, wipe them down with a good wax and grease remover and a tack cloth.  I used an off the shelf spray paint (well, it is "off the shelf" at an auto paint store) called "Dull Aluminum" made by Classic.  It is a lacquer spray paint that requires a primer, also made by Classic and available in spray cans.  I used two coats of primer, two coats of color, and a couple coats of clear.

Like I said, the wheels have held up great, the total cost was about $25 (or the cost of having ONE wheel powdercoated), AND the color is almost an exact match for the factory color.  In fact, I have a never used NOS set of turbinas in the garage that I used to match the color, and they are darn near identical (the color is also almost exactly like the "BMW Polaris Silver" that Bill Gilham recommends as correct for Alfa wheels).  The key is all in the surface prep, just like painting anything else.

Most of the turbinas I have seen that have been powdercoated have powder buildup in the vanes, and it is hard to get just the right color without special ordering.  The finish tends to look too "thick" also.  Plus, it will cost you over $100 to do 4 wheels.

Your experience may vary...

Good Luck,

Arno Leskinen
President, Arizona Chapter AROC