Re: Turbina Refinishing

I refinished two of the turbina knockoff wheels on my Alfetta a few years ago and have a few words of advice. For some reason I decided that they had to be polished which in hindsight was not the greatest decision unless you are paying someone else to do the work (in which case it is probably cheaper to buy a new set of wheels).
DO NOT sandblast the wheels! It will create a horrible rough texture (amhik). Plastic media worked well for striping the old paint, but glass bead was required to strip off the extremely tough green (epoxy?) primer. Powder coating is fantastic stuff. I had mine coated clear which has a very slight yellow tint. They are very easy to clean the the finish is extremely durable. I think the cost was around $30-$35 each for clear and colors were more.
I also refinished a set of wheels for my gtv6 which are a similar style, but two tone. I think I used some kind of Rustolium or Krylon spray paint from the local hardware store on those (black metallic or anthracite for the center and aluminum for the rim). The finish isn't nearly as durable as the powder coating, but still quite good. As with all painting, prep work is key. Before I painted these I cleaned the wheels with a wheel cleaning product and then again with a pre-painting cleaner. Next I sanded the old paint, feather-edged and chips and cleaned them again. Then I primed them, did a little wet sanding, painted the centers, masked and painted the rims and did some more wet sanding and finally put a couple coats of clear over the whole surface. The results were great, but it is a time consuming process.

-Obie
Tacoma, Wa.
assorted alfas