From: Ray Cordova
Date: Wednesday, 19 March 2003 02:32:33 AM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Re: Won't start when engine is hot....(Alfetta)

Jeff,
I've been chasing a similar problem with my '84 GTV 6. An intermittent
starting
problem that was exceedingly similar to your description. Being intermittent

the problem was tough to find because after a little while of tracing
potential
causes the problem would cease to exist, aarrg! I have finally zeroed in on
the
culpurit and it is . . (drum roll) . the ignition switch. I had been
convinced
that the problem was in the engine bay because of the relationship to heat
but I
was wrong.

So I suggest this. Look at the wiring diagram for your car, I suspect it's
not
that much different that mine in that there is a wire that goes directly
from
the ignition switch to the starter seleniod. Find a place where you can
probe
that wire/connection - on my car there is a connection block on the firewall

that is easily accessed. When the car exhibits the problem check the voltage
on
that wire when you or an assistant turns the key (as to engage the started).

When there is no power there you've found the problem - the switch. Hope
this
helps.

-Ray
'84 GTV 6
San Diego
###########################
You wrote:

For some time now, my '79 Alfetta will not start
when the engine is hot. Around town - never a
problem.
Cold start - never a problem. However, if I'm
driving on the freeway and I stop - say to get gas
or something, when I go to restart it, I get
nothing. Lights are all up along with
radio/fan/other electrical, but the starter
doesn't turn at all. If I sit and wait anywhere
from 15 - 40 minutes, it'll start up again on the
first try. . . . . .