new car miles

According to the state of California a new vehicle is "a vehicle
constructed entirely from new parts that has never been the subject of a
retail sale, or registered with the department, or registered with the
appropriate agency or authority of any other state, District of
Columbia, territory or possession of the United States." If a California
resident purchases a vehicle out of state and then brings it back in it
is considered by California to be a new vehicle if it has less than
7,500 miles on it. This triggers various emission and tax laws on the
vehicle.
 This would mean that a dealer could sell a car as new even with several
thousand miles on it if it had never been registered in the United
States, however the mileage could be a negotiation item in the sale.
When I bought a new Ford there was about 80 miles on the odometer but it
also came with a note from Ford indicating that the car was driven for
68 miles at the factory as part of their quality control program.

Gene Brown
Simi Valley, CA