heater hoses

Well actually,........ coolant hoses in general!

While getting ready to ease the old girl awake from her winter hibernation
yesterday, I got to looking at the top rad hose and the heater hoses. All
were in a state of cold sweat. In fact they were down right slimy! The
heater hoses have always struck me in this fashion while the top rad hose
has always been clean and dry in the past.
Both the water pump hoses are red in color (don't ask me) and have been
with the car since I bought it. The one supplying the heater turns to black
at a splice just in front of the firewall (also original to my purchase).
The return line is black as well. All but one of the hoses seem strong but
pliable to the touch and the one in doubt still seems pretty good to me.
The top rad hose is about two years old and came from Centerline.

The question's in my mind are:
1) are there different grades of coolant hose out there, and if so what
should we be looking for quality-wise?
2) do hoses deteriorate with age and use to start this sweating phenomenon?
3) do the materials of construction bleed out (say high silicone content)
to cause this?
4) is it the coolant leaching out?
5) all of the above?
6) none of the above?