Don't believe this applies to Alfas

While hardly brought up to be a major flame (boy if I'd only thought of
comparing Formula 1 to NASCAR...speaking of apples and oranges) I do
have a few unanswered questions regarding  'preselective gearboxes
(NAC)'. (What's a NAC?).

Thanks Nicky, John, Bill, George, Will, James. Mind if I call you by
your first names?

So how comes the Coatal has 1 thru 4 and no R on their selector?

My 'Made in England' automotive encyclopedias states (under Cord):
(We're talking 1935 here) "After all, the initial production target was
around 1000 cars a month, and surely the transmissions would be ready
soon. They were not...."

Since the book's in English (as opposed to American English), I'm
assuming they would have said if it was a Wilson (or even a Cotal)
design. Did Auburn - Cord - Duesenberg start with one of the above two
designs and try to modify or did they try to reinvent the wheel - or did
they start with one of the above two, try to modify, and then squeak
by...eventually? I have seen Cords actually move (and assume) shift
gears / have their gears shifted.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA