'86 GTV-6
now with 3.0 liter 'S' engine
and Power Steering

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 02:46 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:27:23 -0500
From: William & Sonnie Schafer <schaferbs@domain.elided>
Subject: Don't believe this applies to Alfas

Biba: Had to go back & rack my weak 72 year old brain but here goes. I
think that they were called Wilson Pre-selectors. In about 1942-3, I drove
a 1938 Terraplane which belonged to a neighbor. The shifter was on the
left side of the steering column and had a gate with a lever about 11/2"
high which was moved to the slot for the proper gear & when the clutch was
depressed the transmission changed gears. Greatly simplified the process.
Don't think a very large number of them were put into American cars.
Bill Schafer
'87 Milano Oro (Alfa Content)