Don't believe this applies to Alfas

Biba: Had to go back & rack my weak 72 year old brain but here goes. I think that they were called Wilson Pre-selectors. In about 1942-3, I drove a 1938 Terraplane which belonged to a neighbor. The shifter was on the left side of the steering column and had a gate with a lever about 11/2" high which was moved to the slot for the proper gear & when the clutch was depressed the transmission changed gears. Greatly simplified the process. Don't think a very large number of them were put into American cars.
Bill Schafer
'87 Milano Oro (Alfa Content)