RE: Blue smoke ephemera

Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 08:56:22 -0800
From: "agiyo" <agiyo@domain.elided>
Subject: Blue smoke ephemera

> I noticed blue smoke one day accelerating out of stop and shifting to
> 2nd, but I can't reproduce it again.  It doesn't seem to be the seals.
> (I can accerlate hard, lift my foot off the gas a bit, then floor it
> again and no blue cloud, which I'm told is the test for this.)  Is this
> just normal sometimes?  Was I driving it too cold?  (The car had been
> going more than 5 minutes but not much more)>

I don't know if this applies to your vehicle but years ago my daughter had
this problem on a Plymouth Colt with a Mitsubishi engine.  It took me a long
time to find it (months.)  There was a metal baffle inside the valve cover
that was shielding the oil spray from entering the PCV valve.  This metal
baffle had separated from the valve cover and a gap around the perimeter
allowed a spray of oil to enter the PCV valve at different times.  This
condition also increased her oil consumption.  All I did was to seal thye
baffle to the valve cover and that corrected the blue smoke and the oil
consumption problem.

John Ortakales
71 Spider
www.knology.net/ortak