Camshafts, Starter and Steering Box

Few questions for all of my knowledgable alfa-loving friends out there.

I recently replaced the starter in my 83 Spider with a starter from an 86
(smaller, and I thought stronger, but I may have been wrong).  Since
installing it, I've had some trouble getting her to start.  She seems to
crank strongly, but she doesn't start as instantly as she used to.  I think,
however, that my batter is also starting to loose its gusto.  I charged it up
today to a full charge, and the Spider started right up.

My question is, did I make a mistake installing the 86 starter? (I sure hope
not since it was no easy job).  Should I use a stronger battery?

Next, I have a 74 GTV with a very sloppy and scratchy steering box.  There is
a Spider steering box for sale on ebay that I'm considering, but I'm not sure
if it fits the GTV.  Can anyone tell me?

Finally, I'm considering an upgrade on my GTV's camshafts.  I'd like a little
more power, but I don't want to sacrifice too much on drivability.  The 1750
cams would provide a little extra pep, correct?  Would I be much better off
with Euro spec or other cams?  Bear in mind that my GTV has a stock SPICA
setup.

Thanks for your advice.

Gavin Corn
83 Spider