Sperry Stage III a bomb?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:41:42 -0500
From: "John Hertzman" <johnhertzman@domain.elided>
Subject: re: Sperry Stage III a bomb?

Joe Elliott wrote "I was pretty sure that all 2L 75s were TwinSpark."

A reasonable assumption, but according to d'Amico & Tabucchi not correct.
They
say the 75 2.0 (162 BF) was introduced in 1985 with the same engine (tipo
06212, two twin-choke carbs, either Solex or Dellorto) ) as the carbureted
two-liter version of the 90 introduced in 1984. The Twin Spark 75 (162 B4)
was
then introduced in March 1987; the last of the carbureted monospark 75s was
built in 1988. About 19,000 had been built, including a cat version for a
few
northern countries.

I have an Italian 1989 monospark 1.6 Liter 75 with twin Webers, so at least
here in Italy they built the monospark 75s for at least one more year as I
don't know when they stopped.

The story about Sperry selling Dan Korolyshyn a head off a two-liter 75 for
his US-spec 1979 Spider seems odd; I don't know whether there is/is not a
difference affecting combustion chamber depth, can't see why (or how, if
valve
angles were the same) there would be, but '79 US-spec cores should be
plentiful in Sperry's neighborhood and 75 fours would be rare- and if there
was a significant difference Sperry could hardly have not noticed it.

Anyhow, I hope Dan K.'s problem is resolved amicably and effectively.

John H.

Thanks John, I hope so too.
Dan K.