From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of Norm
Riffle
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 8:20 PM
To: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: 1750 cams in a spica

    Shankle ranks the Euro cams at a 5
        the 1750 cams at a 4
        the stock spica cams at a 3
    Having gone directly from stock spica cams to the euro cams, i found the
change was fairly disappointing - worries about drivability were wildly
exaggerated as was the power increase. I hardly noticed. Might as well have
bought expensive spark plugs.
    Taking the plastic fan off the water pump was faster, cheaper and gave a
better increase of power.

    I went directly to a "short port", valve job (I was sure it needed it
anyway) and a new set of shankle 7L's.
    There was a noticeable improvement. Not huge, but felt like i got
something for my efforts.

    Long story short....
    my interest in autocross and it's need for low end power and drivability
as led me to this end.
    around 11:1 compression, equivalent to a sperry stage 3 head with OS
intake valves port and polish, headers, not ported but *hogged out* intake
manifold (don't try this at home), 40 mm throttle bodies, aluminum
flywheel.....
    I've just installed a new cam on the intake labeled "1600 racing" with
.438 lift and 256 duration. (not for the mechanically faint of
heart)
    It is remarkably drivable, idles well. soon to be my daily driver and
work rig.
    if you do the right things,  drivability doesn't suffer too badly. But,
with engines, little steps don't seem to add up to much. Save yourself
double the time and money by planning what you want, having reasonable
expectations, and do the internal engine mods and headwork you want, all at
once.

    Still using the STOCK spica pump. (in your face to those naysayers who
believe carbs are somehow superior for "hot" alfas) tho an HP pump is
somewhere on the way.

--
Norm Riffle
Its-A-Grind.com