1750 cams in a spica

    Shankle ranks the Euro cams at a 5
        the 1750 cams at a 4
        the stock spica cams at a 3
    Having gone directly from stock spica cams to the euro cams, i found
the change was fairly disappointing - worries about drivability were
wildly exaggerated as was the power increase. I hardly noticed. Might as
well have bought expensive spark plugs.
    Taking the plastic fan off the water pump was faster, cheaper and
gave a better increase of power.

    I went directly to a "short port", valve job (I was sure it needed
it anyway) and a new set of shankle 7L's.
    There was a noticeable improvement. Not huge, but felt like i got
something for my efforts.

    Long story short....
    my interest in autocross and it's need for low end power and
drivability as led me to this end.
    around 11:1 compression, equivalent to a sperry stage 3 head with OS
intake valves port and polish, headers, not ported but *hogged out*
intake manifold (don't try this at home), 40 mm throttle bodies,
aluminum flywheel.....
    I've just installed a new cam on the intake labeled "1600 racing"
with .438 lift and 256 duration. (not for the mechanically faint of
heart)
    It is remarkably drivable, idles well. soon to be my daily driver
and work rig.
    if you do the right things,  drivability doesn't suffer too badly.
But, with engines, little steps don't seem to add up to much. Save
yourself double the time and money by planning what you want, having
reasonable expectations, and do the internal engine mods and headwork
you want, all at once.

    Still using the STOCK spica pump. (in your face to those naysayers
who believe carbs are somehow superior for "hot" alfas) tho an HP pump
is somewhere on the way.

--
Norm Riffle
Its-A-Grind.com