Dyno loss

Here's data from a dyno day the NWARC did in 2000. No automatics, but even
manual cars lost a fair amount of hp. The drivetrain loss was calculated by
the dyno, not sure the method.

If you look at Alfa hp ratings (flywheel), you see a lot of loss to the
drive wheel ratings noted here. For example, John Hall's GTV rated at 129
SAE net hp, 94.8 at wheels, 34 hp drop.

The Montreal I had at the time, 200 to 145 at wheels, 55 hp loss.

Front wheel drive, in theory has less driveline loss. Not sure real world.

The other variable is the dyno itself. There is no way to compare the dyno
you used to the dyno from which the below data came.

So maybe 40hp loss is not too bad for a 164 auto. Anyone else with more
data?

John's original message below>

Hi Folks,

A number of you asked for the results of from dyno day, so I figured I would
forward this info to all attendees with e-mail.  If any of the information
about your cars is incorrect, please let me know and I will correct it
before I submit the article to Iniezione

-John [Christensen, NWARC]

======================================
Frank Rojas
'72 GTV  40DCOEs and euro cams
HP: 87.2@5600
TQ: 103.3@2900
Drivetrain loss: 12.6hp

John Hall
'69 GTV stock 2.0L w/Spica
HP: 94.8@5400
TQ: 99.4@4800
Drivetrain loss: 15.1hp

Mike Nakamura
'71 Montreal
HP: 145.2@6100
TQ: 152.7@4200
Drivetrain loss: 20.0hp

John Christensen
'69 GTV 2.0L, 45DCOEs, 10:1 Motronics, Haniford Stage 3 head, 7L exhaust & 8
intake cams, Electromotive HPV-1 ignition Baseline numbers:
	HP: 120.6@6000
	TQ: 121.2@4400
After tuning (main jets 145>150, air correctors 185>175)
	HP: 127.1@6000
	TQ: 124.9@4800
Drivetrain loss: NA

Herb Sanborn
'72 (?) GTV Spica, 10:1 Motronics, Haniford stage 3 head, 7L exhaust & 8
intake cams, Marreliplex
HP: 108.8@6200 (numbers effectively flat from approximately 5300rpm up)
TQ: 107.5@5100
Drivetrain loss: 13.9hp

Dave Emerson
'72(?) GTV Spica, Sperry stage 5 head, 7L cams, Shankle headers Baseline
numbers:
	HP: 120.6@5600
	TQ: 117.8@5200
After tuning:
	HP: 123@5700
	TQ: 120.4@5100
Drivetrain loss: NA

August Edlund
'72(?) GTV turbo, Spica
HP: 157 at 10psi of boost.  No other data available.

Mike Nakamura
7414 337th PL SE
Fall City WA 98024 USA
(425) 222-3982