Re: Milano 3.0 Engine Rebuild

Dennis Baba - MTB EC wrote:
I am currently working on rebuilding a Milano 3.0 engine, and I have the
heads off. I want to replace the valve guides, and I am wondering who to
send them to.
I think Jon Norman is highly recommended. Contact info: http://www.alfa-parts.com/

Although if you want to replace the valve guides, it's not that difficult of a job, especially if you can borrow the factory tools. I have some custom tools that my friend made, and it's pretty straight-forward. As a note, I decided to use the valve guides from Centerline that are made to accept the teflon valve guides. In theory they should be superior to stock.

I live in the Bay Area. Also, would I be better off honing
down the liners and re-ringing the pistons, or just replace the liners and
pistons altogether.
If you are going for performance, now would be the time to drop in S-pistons/liners, about $700. Re-ringing is an option if your liners and pistons are still within spec. That is what I am doing on my 164S rebuild.

PS How do I remove the liners?
They should slide out, possibly needing a little encouragement. Most of mine came right out. Only one required a few taps, using a piece of scrap wood as the driver. There was a lengthy discussion on this topic a month ago.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http//alfa.denovich.org