removing 105 engine

In a message dated 3/4/2003 11:15:33 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 23:40:01 -0500
> From: "jkb83" <jkb83@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: removing 105 engine
>
> Ben,
>
> Do you mean to jack up the rear?  That is what others recommended and thats
> what
> I did.  I had a helper and we pushed the rear of the engine down but could
> not
> see how it could possibly fit.  We got the engine out, but it was so tight
> that
> I ended up bending the center link.  This is an early (67) car, so maybe
> there
> is a difference in later ones?
>
> John
>
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 18:07:03 Ben Ament wrote:
>
> >It is not necessary to remove the tie rod before removing the engine on
> >105's. Instead, jack the front of the car up and tilt the rear of the
> engine
> >down. It is tight, but it works.
> >
> >Ben

       They mean to put the rear axle up on very tall jack stands.  See,
removing the transmission separately like I always do does begin to sound
like less work / aggravation.
       Plus if you have a chain hoist hanging from the ceiling and not on a
rail, then you cannot push the car out from under the engine as it comes out
if the rear is on stands.  And I would not get under a car with the rear on a
movable floor jack.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City