Synthetic Oils

Sorry, Keith.  The Moto Guzzi is a 4-stroke.  (There are very, very few
2-strokes being sold today.)  The M-G is also rather exceptional among
motorcycles in that it uses an automotive-type dry clutch and gearbox, and
the gear oil is separate from the engine oil.
Just like the BMW.

To stop the leak I would have had to pull the engine/gearbox, separate them,
and also replace the clutch plate, which had also begun to slip due to the
oil leak.  Instead I sold the bike at a discount.

The synthetic oil obviously caused a failure in the rear main bearing
sealing properties.  Whether this was caused by a "washing away" of sludge
or a swelling or shrinking of the seal I do not know.  But the failure
occurred almost immediately.

I also used Mobil 1 in my Honda VFR750 Interceptor at the same time.  No oil
leaks or problems.  I incidently sold that bike within 1500 miles on the
oil.

However when I buy Italian gaskets/seals for an older engine I can't be sure
how old they actually are, or if they are made from modern polymers that are
not affected by modern oils.  Therefore with these vintage machines I'm
scared to put in synthetics (however I would be willing to try them early in
a new engine's life...).

As an aside I switched to Redline right after the break-in on a Lancia Beta
in 1976.  I went 20,000 miles on the oil, only changing filters.   I was
doing a little experimenting with camshafts at the time, and I noticed a
gray "sludge" in the corners of the cam boxes.  It was some material that
separated out from the synthetic oil and deposited itself in the engine.
Perhaps it was lead from the fuel.  Anyhow, I continued to use Redline for
about 40,000 miles, when I threw in the towel and returned to 20w50
petroleum oil.  I had no mechanical or oil-burning problems with either,
however the sludge eventually disappeared using standard oil.  I have no
doubt Redline has improved their product, and I'd try it again.

The magazine Motorcycle Consumer News performed a very intensive and
extensive test on many motor oils which was reported in their Aug., Oct.,
and Nov. 2000 issues
(MCN is like Consumer Reports in that they accept no advertising).  For back
issues and reprints call (303)777-2385.  Their conclusion was that all oils
tested, regardless of price or composition,  provided good service and
protection if changed regularly.

A person named Ed Hackett (edh@domain.elided) likewise published an
interesting article entitled "More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Motor
Oil" which one might still be able to obtain from him.

Mr. Goose  (as in "Moto Guzzi")