re:Re: Alfa SUV (Kamal) specs & pics up

Should I talk using my mind or my heart?

Heart: oh s**t! Another damn suv out there!!!! I hate these craps. They are useless,
they are heavy, they are big (I can't check the incoming traffic for overtaking when
I get to drive with one of these things in front of me).

Mind: Alfa Romeo once built LA MATTA. Like all older JEEPS, LANDROVER and LANDCRUISERS
these cars are the ancestors of modern suv production.
Alfa Romeo, building a SUV, just keeps on with that old time styling "revival" we can
find on the 147 grille, on the GTA badging and so on. More than other brands Alfa has
the right to build a SUV.
Furthermore, SUV market is something that sells. People are so silly to think "the bigger
the better". A big car is something letting people feeling somekind of sense of power.
American market says a lot abut it: Big suvs, big minvans, huge vintage cars, huge
displacemente. It really seems the bigger the better.
Nowadays car manufactureres managed to weirdly mix sizes & off road look, with sporty
concept (powerful engines and wide tires, no more IMO).  Comfort for daily use, and here
we got modern suvs: BIG cars that normal people can drive! In the past a 4wd car was
all but easy to drive! These cars were heavy, cold, lacking comfort and nice details....
nobody wanted 'em but army and off road enthusiasts.
And since this market, sadly, sounds like selling well, it's just ok that Alfa Romeo
start to produce something like that.
In a mass production car company, it's very important to make sells numbers for being
able to afford nice cars productions.
Like the GTA: people desire it, few can get it... and everybody drives the 1.9JTD.
Probably this suv is going to be a best seller on its category. This will bring
money in alfa pockets. This will solve part of the Fiat troubles. This will save
some projects like the BRERA that cannot get into production w/o good financial resurces.

Then there's another thing to say: Alfa stopped to be the Alfa I love when the 155 came out.
Cheap common platform front wheel drive design, forgetting those "Driver's cars" project
as the 75 / Milano is still witnessing (thanx to us that keep 'em running).
So if they pretend to sell a FWD 250 HP heavy "sport car", I see no reason againt a modern
suv project. This is not changin cars. This is probably just saving Alfa & Fiat from
bankrupt, letting modern alfa enthusiast buying newer sport class cars, like the new Coupe'.

Ciao
Luca

"With dreams to be a king first one should be a man" Joey DeMaio
937, '87 Alfa 75 Turbo, '90 Alfa 75 1.8ie, '75 Benelli 500 Quattro, RM250
http://members.xoom.it/nodoubt73