Re: synthetic oil

Hi All,

I now use 10w30 Mobil 1 synthetic in my Milano 3.0 and have noticed
better oil pressure at idle. When I used 15w50 Mobil 1, the oil
pressure gauge at idle showed almost 0 psi. This is supposed to be
"normal" as the oil pressure gauge sender is known to be notorious for
being inaccurate. After the switch to 10w30, the oil pressure at idle
increased to about 25 psi.

I've talked to a reputable Alfa tuner and he has also recommended the
same thing, but added that an oil cooler is a must (which my 3.0 has).
Especially in relatively cool weather. IMHO 20w50 is too thick. I think
Alfa recommends 10w40 for the 164 3.0. But so far I have had good luck
with 10w30 so far and will keep on using it until the weather warms up
a little. When summer comes I will switch to 10w40, most likely Castrol
Syntec 10w40.

Zamani
http://taxes.yahoo.com/