Garage lighting

Greetings,

Garage lighting is dependent on what you are going to use your garage for. Fluorescent lighting, due to it's color temperature will affect the color of paint to some degree. However, there are fluorescent tubes that are warmer in color temperature. If you are going to use your garage as a museum or paint shop, you probably want to install lighting that is closer to the color temperature of the sun; which I believe is 3400K (I know someone will correct me if I am wrong). Quartz lighting comes the closest at about 3200K. The drawback is that you will need several fixtures on both sides of the garage and that quartz lights generate a lot of heat. If your garage is going to be used for general maintenance and repair, I would recommend fluorescent fixtures. My workshop/garage, which accommodates 4 cars has 8 twin tube 8 foot fixtures, plus a single 8 footer over the workbench. This gives me plenty of general lighting, and I only have to use auxiliary light for working under the car or other places where the ambient light cannot penetrate. My cars look better in the sunlight; but I don't mind the minor color shift when they are in the garage.

Regards, Bart

Badges& emblems for Italian cars
Black-Barts.com
1-800-473-0078