Alfetta water pump/heater issues

Hi everyone:

Car: 1978 Sport Sedan w/ 60k miles

I believe I have a problem with my water pump. When idling (around 750 RMPs) at a stoplight the heater will start to blow cold air after about 10-15 seconds. Given enough time the temperature gauge will rise as well. Once Im on my way, or if I raise the RPMs above 1200 or so, everything returns to normal. I assume the water pump not circulating the coolant efficiently at low RPMs causes this. This seems to be getting progressively worse though the years while being particularly noticeable this year. Is this common for the Alfetta? Do water pumps (assuming that is the cause) loose effectiveness with age? I was curious if replacing the pump with a new one would solve this. I have not noticed any noise or leaks from the pump.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Craig
78 Sport Sedan

P.S. Forgive me if this is the second time this posted. I did not see my first attempt post.