RE: alfa-digest V9 #308

>Subject: Garage lighting

I am in the lighting industry and although my garage is not properly lit, I
would say that fluorescent lighting is not too harsh, unless it is installed
as in 99.99% of all garages.  Most people purchase 4 foot strip lights and
hang them from the ceiling.  This accomplishes the goal of lighting the
garage with the most uniform, low cost lighting.  Unfortunatly, it leaves a
lot to be desired.

If I ever get around to remodeling my garage, I will use a combination of
direct and indirect lighting.  If you use fluorescent light to bounce off of
the ceiling, you can get very even light throughout the space.  Of course
this assumes that you have a ceiling.  A white ceiling and walls will
dramatically affect the brightness of the garage.  The fluoresent lights
should be concealed in a cove around the perimter of garage about 12 to 18
inches below the ceiling.  You can also use pendent mounted linear indirect
fluorescent lights.  These are available from commercial electrical supply
houses, usually special order.

The finishing touch is to use low voltage track lighting.  These lights
should be placed on the ceiling and aimed at the artwork on the walls.  If
you want your cars to really sparkle, try aiming a few of the low voltage
lights directly at your Alfas!

Jeff Thraen
1969 Berlina
1971 Berlina